PHOTO COMPETITION “Growing with Your Food”
The “Growing with Your Food” project, part of the European Capital of Culture Tartu 2024 program, together with the EcoSchool program in Estonia, invites students, teachers, parents who are interested in gardening and photography to participate in the photo competition of the same name. Submit your photos to the contest no later than November 30, 2023 HERE!
Photo contest poster in A3 format for printing.
Terms and conditions
1. The general theme of the photo contest is gardening and growing your own food in educational, community and private gardens. The topics of the competition works* are:
- Patterns in the garden – a garden shaped by man and nature, the passage of time in the garden, a wider view of the garden
- Garden up close – wonderful details of plants, fruits, gardener’s friends or competitors from the animal and plant kingdom, moments of the grassroots level
- A busy garden – gardeners working, learning, thinking, creating in the garden. Whether it is harvesting, learning about plants, preparing for the next season or something else.
* The descriptions of the topics are general and the author can interpret these further on
2. The photo submission period is from September 4 to November 30, 2023
3. Photos are welcome from Estonia as well as from other European countries, except from the Russian Federation and Belarus.
4. The competition takes place in three age categories:
- Children – up to 12 years old
- Young people – 13-18 years old
- Adults (teachers, parents, gardening and/or photography enthusiasts, etc.)
5. Place of submission of photos: photos are uploaded to the page https://fotovoistlus.horisont.ee/kot/
6. Requirements for competition works:
- photos are expected for the competition digitally (in jpg format)
- the minimum size of the photo must be at least 1 MB and the longest side at least 3000 pixels, the maximum size is 20 MB and the longest side up to 6000 pixels;
- framing, brightness, contrast and color correction, sharpening and dust spot removal are allowed on the photo
- one author can submit up to 3 photos, plus a photo essay that can consist of up to 5 photos.
7. Information to be provided with the photo(s):
- author’s name, age
- age category to which the author of the picture belongs
- name of the educational institution (if auther is a student)
- contact details (e-mail, phone number)
- photo subject
- photo caption
- name of an educational institution or a community garden (if the photo is related to an educational institution or a community garden)
- time and place of photo taking (county, local government/city)
- short story (up to 500 characters for single photos, up to 1000 characters for photo essay)
7. The right to use photos by the organizers of the competition: the organizers have the right to use the photos participating in the competition free of charge when presenting the competition and its results online, in the media, at exhibitions and public events, citing the author of the work.
8. When uploading photos, the participants confirm that they have familiarized themselves with the competition conditions and that they allow usage of the personal data provided for the competition.
9. The submitter of the photo(s) is responsible for owning the copyright.
10. The works submitted to the competition will be evaluated by the jury, whose decision will award the main prize in each age category:
- Children – up to 12 years old- 500 euros
- Young people – 13-18 years old – 500 euros
- Adults – 700 euros
Among the works of the photo contest, the audience’s favorites are also selected by means of online voting. In addition, special prizes will be awarded to the supporters of the cooperation competition.
Contact person of the photo contest: Eeva Kirsipuu-Vadi, eeva.kirsipuu-vadi @ tartuloodusmaja.ee
The photo competition is organized by the EcoSchool program in Estonia in cooperation with project “Growing with Your Food”, which is part of the main program of the European Capital of Culture Tartu 2024. The EcoSchool program helps children and young people become sustainably minded, environmentally conscious people. “Growing with Your Food” project is targeting to increase children’s and families’ awareness of growing food.
The partner of the competition is the European Capital of Culture Tartu 2024, the sponsors are the Center for Environmental Investments in Estonia, Tartu Nature House, the Organic Center of the Estonian University of Life Sciences.